Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Eastern Airlines

At another New England home, that I once visited looking for mid century modern rescues, I was offered a shoe box sized box of odds and ends.  I suppose the contents of which was collected from the emptying of drawers, shelves and closet corners.  Most of the items were metal hairpins called “bobby pins”, plastic buttons, small oily hand tools and old eyeglasses. However, resting on the bottom of the box was another confluence of past and present. It came in a black vinyl covered box with the now defunct Eastern Airlines hockey stick logo in the corner. It measured 7”x 4”x 1.5”.  A rather small package for carrying links to and from our “modern” past.  I lifted it from the shoe box and immediately opened it for inspection.  It was a toiletry kit. And by researching the items inside I was able to open a window to 1970 to 1975. Ironically this was also a window closing on the mid century modern era.  During the same time period our possessions and jobs were starting to be created and or outsourced by and to other countries.  None the less, the entire contents of this toiletry kit were made in America by Americans.  

Gillette Trac II “demonstrator” razor manufactured in Boston Ma 1970
Mennen pushbutton Deodorant, Morristown New Jersey 1970
Pepsodent Toothpaste, New York NY, 1975. 
Aqua Velva “Ice Blue” Aftershave, Cranford New Jersey 1970
English Leather Casual Hair Dressing, Northvale New Jersey 1971
Craig Martin Brushless Shaving Cream, Chicago Ill.  1970


As I touch and examine each item I can imagine working men and women going through their daily lives on the factory floor.  On a micro scale, during the course of the day, I bet that they thought about the same things that we think about today; their jobs, paying bills, their families, social lives and loves. 
And the owner of the toiletry kit, probably a successful family man escaping another New England winter by traveling first class to Florida from Massachusetts.  Thou the gentleman of the toiletry kit is deceased, his winter exodus is a New England tradition that still goes on by many others.  I think I will save this vinyl time machine and place it away in a dresser drawer of one of our mid century modern pieces. I’m sure that one day I will add my own memories to the toiletry kit by including it in my own travels.  

Eastern Airlines has a Facebook page.  Look for a possible rebirth of the airline later this year (2014)
See more great accessories at www.gre-stuff.com



No comments:

Post a Comment